Monday, June 18, 2007

Packing

As I mentioned a few days ago, I'm going to be moving house in about a months time. This is a real pain, and really, if you can get away with it the lazy way is to not move house ever. In fact, if you can stay with your parents for ever you can probably get really cheap rent, food bought and cooked for you, all your washing done and loads of other perks. You just have to put up with the "you treat this house like a hotel" lecture several times a week. Also, it's not ideal for meeting girls.

Anyway, it's 10 years since I lived at home and during that time I've lived in 5 or 6 different places. One thing that's always true is that moving house is a real pain. You have to find somewhere to move to, sort out all the admin crap that goes with it and get fleeced for a small fortune by every party along the way. If that wasn't enough, once you've done all that you then have to do the actual moving.

On my last move my girlfriend was moving to where I live, from London, and it was a 2-3 hour drive, so we bit the bullet and hired professional removals men. They were the cheapest guys we could find, real south london wide boys with what looked on the outside to be the worlds crappiest old removals van, but they were brilliant. They cleared my girlfriends place, made the 2-3 hour journey to my flat, cleared all my furniture and got us all loaded into the new flat in a grand total of 4 hours. All for a meagre £300. An absolute bargain. This time, even though we're moving about half a mile, I was adamant that we'd get removals people again. Sure we've had loads of offers of help (thanks!) and we could have hired a van and done it ourself, but I've done that several times before and it's really hard work and really slow.

Almost everything is sorted and now the only bone of contention is that I'm basically planning to pack everything on the day before we move, because I know I really can't be bothered to do anything like that unless I'm really under pressure, but my gf wants to pack things bit by bit over the next few weeks so that she knows we're ready. Tricky. I wonder if I can persuade her to use the removals companys professional packing service..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm far too lazy to move out of home (especially now we have aircon installed), but not lazy enough to not come to your upcoming house warming party. ;)

Anonymous said...

Pack early, do not bother with any wine, we won't be moving it.