Thursday, June 28, 2007

Why?

It's a simple question, but it's not my favorite question. My favorite question is: What seems to be the problem officer? "Why?" isn't nearly as entertaining as that question but it is perhaps the most introspective of all the questions in the world. Also, at some point, it becomes every small child's favorite question of challenging parental authority.

Go to your room!!!
Why?

We can't eat ice cream for every meal.
Why?

No we can't kidnap the Wiggles and lock them in the basement.
Why?

All of those quesitons have the same answer: Because I said so, you little bastard.

However, sometimes people point the ol' Why gun my way and ask me why I'm lazy. I usually respond, "Get the fuck out of my face, you whore spawned waste of skin." because I'm a surly bastard who long ago lost the will to live. But then, sometimes, later on, I'll think, "Hey....Why am I lazy?"

I suppose the easy answer is because it's easy. You know, path of least resistance and all that stuff. It can't just be that though, one of the causes of laziness is also the reason? Too circuitous for me. Do I have some character flaw that makes me lazy? Did my parents make my life so easy that I learned to despise all things that required effort? Is this all society's fault? Can I get a disability check for being almost too lazy to walk?

"Why?" seldom leads to an actual answer. It often leads to more and more disturbing and self analytical questions. In the end, after about 10 minutes of thinking, I'm horribly depressed and my brain demands beer. I end up no more informed than I was when that whore spawned, monkey fucker first asked the original question. Maybe that's the point. The purpose of the question "Why?" is not to come up with an actual answer, but to evaluate something abstractly and analyze your thoughts and feelings. Maybe the true nature of the question "Why are you lazy?" isn't "why?" but "Are you happy being lazy?" And I know the answer to that one....You're goddamn right I am.

2 comments:

Mike said...

A guy at university had a "What seems to be the problem officer" moment as he was walking down the street with a traffic cone on his head, a Police car pulled over, so he went to ask what they wanted, cone on head, and asked the question. I think the policeman basically just said, put it back where you found it.

DV said...

That question is never not funny. If I was a cop, I'd slap anyone that asked that question.