Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Need a word for your new Superstring Theory? Use the Simpsons

WARNING: THIS POST CONTAINS REFERENCES TO VERY HARD PHYSICS I'LL DUMB IT DOWN BUT IT COULD HURT YOUR BRAIN

Shamit Kachru, a Stanford University physicist needed a word to describe how one type of superstring changed into another type so he decided to use the word "embiggens" which was first used in the Simpsons episode about Jebidiah Springfield in the following passage:

Jebediah: [on film] A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Edna: Embiggens? I never heard that word before I moved to Springfield
Ms. Hoover: I don't know why. It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Very Hard Physics is always discovering things that it doesn't have words for and it's very good at just picking something arbitrary. Quantum particles have properties called things like Charm and Colour for things that are barely understandable and most likely just made up to get research grants. I actually did a Physics degree... well, when I say I did it, I sometimes attended the place where the degree happened and barely scraped through with a drinkers degree in the end, anyway, the opening sentence of our opening Quantum Physics lecture was "nobody understands Quantum Physics" so I gave up trying. Anyway, stealing a term from The Simpsons is very clearly in the LazyView spirit so we salute you Shamit.

If you want to read the story about what kind of strings embiggen into what other types of strings then you can read the full story here, but see the big red warning above first.

No comments: