Wednesday, July 25, 2007

New Deal for Washing Up

So, the new house has no dishwasher and my laziness when it comes to washing dishes is a well acknowledged fact between myself and my girlfriend. In order to prevent her getting so annoyed with having to do all the washing up that she actually explodes I susggested we should work out an arrangement in advance. Otherwise I'd just weedle out of doing the washing up all the time.

A short debate later we decided that she hates drying up, but doesn't mind washing, I'm the other way round so every night after dinner we'd do all the washing up and she'd wash up and I'd dry. Fine. We're just about a week into the new house, new deal and it's apparent that this system is even more brilliant than I could have anticpated. The first thing I hadn't thought of is that I only need to dry stuff that won't fit in the drying rack. Once we get the washing up down to a level where the rest will fit in, I can stop, it gets better though. I've also discovered that on quite a lot of days, there's not even enough stuff that needs washing to fill the drying rack. So I don't have to do anything! The down side is that I suspect that the division of labour is so unfair that the New Deal will come under review fairly shortly. Probably as soon as she reads this blog. D'oh!

Actually, considering all the non dishwasher safe stuff we have and the general crapness of our old dishwasher we're not missing it at all and we're saving the world by using less energy. On the downside, even if we had one we could no longer theoretically poach a large whole salmon in a dishwasher, anyone got a large fish kettle?

No comments: