Thursday, July 5, 2007

New House

I am currently in posession of 2 homes. The flat we are renting and living in and the house we have bought, but haven't moved into yet. (No, I still haven't done any packing). This gives us the opportunity to do stuff with the new house, like decorate, before we move in. We had said that we didn't need to do any decorating type stuff before we moved in, the kitchen and bathroom are newly done, everything's nicely painted etc. Unfortunately, as predicted by absolutely everyone we spoke to, as soon as we actually got the house we started thinking about little tweaks we wanted to make. I should have known better really. I have seen many of my friends change when they buy a house. Their conversation instantaneously changes from nights out, music, films, girls, boys etc. to paint, conversions, extensions, gardening, furniture and even frikking curtains overnight. At our flatwarming party when we moved into the flat I had 5 seperate conversations with homeowners about how convenient it was that we had laminate flooring because it was so easy to keep clean. In fact, one memorable conversation went something like this...

Friend's wife: "If it was up to me we'd have it on the floor, all four walls and the ceiling".
Friend: "I don't think that'd look very good..."
Friend's wife: "Well you can fucking clean it then."

Some of my friends have even transitioned to the next phase, talking about vomit, sleepless nights, nappies, nurseries and other baby related nonsense. I always vowed it'd never happen to me but here I am blogging about the colour of our new bedroom, and yesterday I had a disagreement with my girlfriend about loft conversions. I hang my head in shame.

Right, so what was the point of this? Oh yeah, the master bedroom in the new house is currently blue (girls may say it is turquoise) which I reckon might feel a bit cold for a bedroom, so I kinda want to paint it. Painting is easy, if you've got a roller and decent paint, it doesn't take very long at all couple of hours per coat for that room I guess. So, I mentioned this yesterday and now my girlfriend has offered to go and get some paint this weekend so that we can paint the room next week even though she's perfectly happy with the current blue/turquoise. I am now in a bit of a quandry, I definitely would like it painted, it'd be much, much easier to do it before we move all our stuff in but I'm really not sure if I can be bothered to spend 2 evenings next week painting. I suspect my gf will be exasperated (again). Anyone got any idea tips for getting this done quicker?

I have been talking to Danny about our posts here and we've decided to widen the remit a bit. Our strict interpretation of the 'lazyview' has been too restrictive.

No comments: