Thursday, August 16, 2007

www

These days almost every site will allow you to just type in the url without the www bit of the site address. eg. if you were crazy enough to type in lazyview.com the magical internet grabber on your computer will show you this site. So why is it that some url registering places don't automatically make the site work without the www for you? Apparently it's something to do with DNS entries. If you work at one of these url registering places sort it out. That information should be enough to go on.

I am much too lazy to type in www every time and never do, so it makes me mad when the site only works on a www address and without www it gives you a "this page had been registered on behalf of one of our users" holding page. It's even more annoying if you are browsing on a phone I suspect... although my phone automatically puts the www. in there for me which is nice of it. Not if I want to go to news.bbc.co.uk or fantasy.premierleague.com though!

I guess that if everyone didn't find the site they wanted to go to by putting the site name into the google search bar in their browser these days it'd be even more annoying. You don't even have to type the .com or .co.uk anymore. Woo!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm far too lazy a developer to even consider doing extra work for all those other lazy buggers out there...