Friday, February 6, 2009

Why does shared misery make you feel better?

This week's bad weather has created all kinds of interesting transport situations. This morning I had 2 trains cancelled and was on my third platform of the morning waiting for the third train. It was scheduled to be the second train on that platform. All good. Then, suddenly, just as a train approached the platform there was a correction to the schedule and my train was now going to be the first train to arrive. ie. The train now approaching the platform. So was it really? Was this one going to stop at Twyford where I wanted to get off or take us all the way non-stop to London. Dunno really. The info screens have been so screwed all week that I just can't trust them. It was freezing on the platform though and the worst that could happen really was that I'd get a trip to London on a nice warm train. So I thought fuck it, I'll get on.

So I'm sitting down and I get my book out but this blonde girl sits down behind me and asks if the train stops at Twyford and Maidenhead.  I said I hope so 'cause that's where I'm going but I don't really know 'cause I just got on and I'm in the same boat as her. And she's happy. And I am a bit more happy too. Whatever happens, we both know that at least one other person is going to be screwed if we're on the wrong train so it's not so bad. 

If you're going to have some shit happen to you, it's best if you have company. Is it the same with redundancy? Does it make you feel better or worse if your work friends are made redundant with you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How was London? I didn't even bother leaving the house.

Anonymous said...

You mean it's alright having a shit day if a fit blonde strikes up a conversation on the train and you have the prospect of going all teh way (to London) with her. xxx

Mike said...

I didn't go to London, it was the right train!