Monday, June 4, 2007

Inverse Laziness

I get the train to work every morning. Well, every work day morning. Unfortunately so far I haven't been able to find an alternative to a normal job to provide me with an income to provide for my adequate lifestyle. So every morning I turn up at the station, buy a ticket, get on the train and go to work.

Wait, I hear you cry, you buy a ticket every morning? Can't you get a season ticket or something? Well... yes, yes I could get a season ticket. I even did that once a few years ago. I ended up leaving it in my trousers when I washed them thus destroying the ticket. Considering I was single at the time and subsequently was quite smelly and washed my clothes as infrequently as possible, this was quite unlucky. Anyway, since that brief flirtation with season tickets I've never bothered again. It's actually really easy in theory, all I need to do is get a photograph, go and sign up at the station and then I can just buy 1 ticket a month rather than 1 a day. There are a couple of photo machines in the station, and as I said, I pass through there twice a day so it's not even out of my way. I think I can even buy my renewals from the automated ticket machines now rather than having to queue up to get to the ticket counter. It'd also save me money. The danger is you go to all that effort, and then destroy it again.

It's not just me who does this, I know at least a couple of other people do, or have in the past, bought their tickets daily instead of getting a season ticket. It's quite bizarre really. I guess the daily 2 minutes getting a ticket feels like less effort than getting season ticket once a month. I wonder if this is one of those times where I'm actually going to have to take some action to sustain future laziness?

6 comments:

Kevin Harrington said...

You can of course use a photo you already have, sort and crop it in Photoshop, then print on photo paper and cut it.

I did all that for my current driving licence, making sure I conformed exactly to the specs.

When the licence was delivered the DVLA had managed to chop my chin off and part of my head.

Perhaps I should have taken the lazy way.

Anonymous said...

Get an annual season ticket. Obv, you only have to renew it once a year but it doubles as a gold card (getting you discounts off other journeys) and also you can join FGW's travellers club and get lots of money off vouchers (free beer! free gin! free coffee! free weekend upgrades to 1st class! etc) as well as an informative monthly newsletter. I'm fairly certain that if you destroy/lose your card again they can replace it for you (albeit for some kind of fee). The other thing is that 12 months' worth of travel costs less than 10 months! Oh, and if you get another job then you can cancel it and they will refund the unused portion in full.

Brucies all round.


Love from Mr Graham Burgess (a seasoned traveller in a past life) xxx

Anonymous said...

mike iz a gay twat

Anonymous said...

Offering advice to these clowns is an exercise in utter futility.

Anyway, I've been convinced that standing in line every day is much better than doing it once a month. And, further on that note, I'm going to throw away my EZ Pass tonight so I can wait in line at the toll booths from now on. Who knows, maybe the toll taker will be a hot chick in a low cut t-shirt.

Thanks guys!

DV said...

Thinking of a new award now. The Lurker award for Worst Post of the Week. We'll just go ahead and give you a lifetime achievement in that category and get things out of the way.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I could handle the fame.