Friday, June 1, 2007

Success vs Adequacy

I was having a search around the world of Laziness on the internet and I came across the following site. This is the blog of a guy, Fred, who has a similar philosophy to ours in some ways. His website, and book, is the Lazy Way to Success and he talks a lot about how you can be successful without expending much effort. He talks about some of the problems all lazy practitioners will experience. For instance as he points out Lazy isn't really the right word in all situations. In a work environment I'd definitely say I was "efficient" because I am getting the maximum output from the minimum input. Someone in a management position might say I was Lazy because I wasn't expending the minimum effort all day long. My view is that if I get the work that needs doing done in a fraction of the time no-one should care, right?

D (no-one calls him that, he's neither cool or a gangster) mentioned in passing in his post earlier today that a much simpler goal is to aim for adequacy. We'll probably talk about this in much more depth in the upcoming weeks and months but it's worth giving you an overview. What people basically want out of life is a few basic requirements: a nice roof over your head, enough to eat, a comfy bed, someone to sleep with, as much booze as you can drink and a massive widescreen TV with surround sound and millions of channels. Once you have those things, why try any harder? The lazy man should never strive for success when adequacy is so much easier. It doesn't matter how easy Fred's concepts for achieving success are because using the same techniques to achieve adequacy requires much less effort. Being rich might sound good, and if something comes along and makes you rich without you doing anything then great, but it's really not necessary in any way.

I should note that, as my girlfriend will almost inevitably read this post, that one area of my life I'd never be lazy in is my love life. Ah, who am I kidding, she knows me too well. I was just lucky that I ended up with the girlfriend equivalent of something great coming along and making me rich without me having to do anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job sucking up. You can now be somewhat certain your girlfriend won't run off with a snarky German guy.