Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Morning Persons

Slowly I'm turning into a morning person. That means getting up early, not enjoying getting up early. But until recently I managed to avoid getting up early. When at university I set up a rule that I would not get out of bed before it was light outside. Seventeen years later I still manage it, but the tide is turning. Only because of the summertime is it still light when I get out of bed these days, and soon it will be dark when I rise. I feel fear when I think of those days to come.

I hate alarmclocks and I hate getting out of bed. So why not go to bed earlier, you say. Because I'm lazy. I'm too lazy to go to bed. Hanging on the couch, flipping the channels, there's no stimulant that makes me get up and go to bed. I have spent many nights on the couch, sleeping in front of the tv in my clothes, just because I couldn't be arsed to go to bed. When I'm tired, I want to close my eyes and doze off, not stand up, get upstairs, brush my teeth and get into bed. Sleep has tricked me into doing all that and then have me wide awake in bed again.

But I'm a dad now, and I have to grow up, so that little screammachine can expect a normal dad when he awakens the house. All I have to do now is wait until the day when the kids tiptoe out of bed in the morning in the hope NOT to wake their parents. But even then they won't be seeing their daddy sleeping on the couch, unless of course he screwes up with mom. But there's comfort in the thought that I can handle the couch if need be.

No comments: