Thursday, August 23, 2007

The rediscovered awesomeness of buses

For the last 6 years or so I've lived right in the middle of town. Barely stumbling distance from the town center. It's been brilliant. Anything you could possibly want virtually on your doorstep. Unfortunately when we were buying a place there wasn't anything that fitted our requirements in the middle of town (ie. a house not a flat) so we moved a very little bit further out.

My new house is about 10 minutes walk from the center of town, about 15 from the station. I go to the station every morning and, at first, I walked every day. One morning last week it was pouring with rain, I was tired and as I was passing the bus stop at the end of my road a bus came past, so I thought, sod this walking in the rain, I'll get the bus into town. So I did. I went a pathetically short distance, all of about 4 stops, saving myself about 10 minutes walk for a hefty cost of £1.50. It was absolutely brilliant.

In the week following I've been on loads of buses. No distance has been too short, no excuse too trivial. I even got a night bus home for the first time ever. I am trying to wean myself off buses, it really is a waste of money which'll add up over the course of a year and I know that if the bus sign shows that the next bus is 5 minutes or more away I can probably walk it faster. But sitting and being driven somewhere is so much better than walking. I can see why people with cars never walk anywhere, even the shortest of distances.

I almost forgot best thing about the bus in the morning at the moment is that schools are on holiday so there are no kids on them only adults going to work. I suspect when school holidays are over my wonderful empty commuter buses will be filled with noisy kids screaming at each other. I hope not!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Schoolkids + bus + early morning = HELL

DV said...

You need to get a motor scooter so you can complete your twat image.