Wednesday, October 17, 2007

What are you doing Dave?

Yesterday my girlfriend and I stumbled upon a channel called Dave. Just Dave, with a little Dave ident logo in the corner. We couldn't quite believe there was a channel called Dave. They were showing Alan Partridge re-runs last night. The series with him working at Radio Norwich. Very funny. "I've been working like a Japanese prisoner of war. But a happy one."

I love the idea that there are some people sitting in a meeting and someone says, "Now onto what we're going to call UKTV G2 when we rebrand it. Has anyone got an idea for a name?" "Dave!" replies some wag, some people laugh, most groan and then to everyone's surprise, not least the wag, someone in charge says "I love it! That's decided then, the only other thing we have on the agenda is a notice from Doris the cleaner about the toilets on the second floor..."

I'm sure that really it took weeks of meetings but I hope that's what happened. Anyway it's a channel aimed at people like me, so it's good that I think the name is great. More details at Dave's website here.

ps. if anyone from UKTV stumbles upon this, The Barefoot Contessa on UKTV Food is really, really shit, most disappointing when I fancy watching a food type show and that's all that's on. (It seems to be on every time I look at UKTV Food, it's on as often as Friends on E4). You must be able to find something better?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

although annoyingly they've stopped uktv history in the evenings on freeview. grrr. dave is a particularly lame name for a lame channel.

Anonymous said...

When a fat slob that can't be bothered to boil water criticises my cooking, all I can do is laugh.

Anonymous said...

P.S. That cake you made sucked.

Mike said...

Typical, the week after we stop the comments competition, we get a winner.

DV said...

I can revive it for that comment. That's a bit of fried gold.