Friday, March 14, 2008

Delia - Cheating at Cooking

As someone who's posted a few times about Lazy cooking I guess I should have a view on Delia's controversial new show and book. For those who haven't been following the controversy, or for those overseas, the issue is that she's using convenience foods, and even goes as far as to name brands in her book.

I've been thinking about what to write, but once again procrastination bore fruit and the Guardian ran an article where they cooked some of the food and tried it. Now, I haven't read the book and I've only seen the first episode of the TV show but my impression was that the food was going to be pretty shit, and hardly worth doing because if you are using crap ingredients like that you might as well just have a ready meal which is miles less work, and much quicker to make. Especially these days when you can get really very good ready meals. In fact the article makes all these points, and much better than I do. Go read it.

The Guardian article basically seems to back that up. You don't actually save much time and what you make tastes like shit. So it's a Boo to Delia. Stick with her earlier "how to cook" books if you want, they are still solid if a bit boring.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

And she uses frozen mash. FROZEN MASH!

DV said...

I made mashed potatoes the other night. With my new mixed. From real potatoes.