Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hail Pilate!

It's coming up to that time of year when Pontius Pilate did us all a favour and had Jesus executed so that he could allegedly rise from the dead and give those of us who live in the UK two excellent bank holidays in Spring. For those of you that don't live in the UK, Bank Holidays are where you don't have to go to work. Well unless you work in a shop, or a bar or something. In which case, unlucky!

Easter Sunday is actually one of only two days in the whole year where major shops in big towns and cities in the UK really are shut, the other being Christmas Day. I'm not used to shops ever being shut these days and few years ago it caught me totally by surprise. I was very confused to find myself in town on an Easter Sunday and see everything was shut. I'd expect it on Christmas but who really gives a crap about Easter? I don't really have a sweet tooth so I never even get the whole chocolate thing. The whole rising from the dead/bunny/eggs thing seems pretty lame compared to other excellent holidays like Christmas. But the two days off work are great so I shouldn't complain.

It's also interesting that my co-blogger Danny who lives in the devout Southern United States only gets one extra day off for Easter whilst I, who live in the highly non-devout southern United Kingdom get the full Easter weekend off work to get drunk and fornicate/do religious shit. No wonder God sends the hurricanes to his part of the world.

1 comment:

Birdseed said...

Does this mean we can have Tark Rike a Pilate day? Alll matey!