Monday, August 18, 2008

Productive Laziness - by Lurker (our first submission!)

About two years ago I cut down and dug out the roots of a row of bushes that lined the street in front of our house. They were about 12 to 15 feet tall, so it was quite a job. I managed to get rid of the branches, trunks and roots by cutting them into roughly four foot lengths and putting them into garbage cans. The garbage guys come twice a week, and I could generally get rid of two or three cans with every pickup. It worked quite nicely up until the very last root section, which was huge. The garbage guys wouldn't take it because it was too heavy, so I decided to leave it in my yard next to the street until I could figure out what to do with it.

Like I said, that was two years ago and it sat there until yesterday. It seems I was being lazy about getting out of the house and going to work, so I hadn't taken the garbage out when my wife heard the garbage truck coming up the street. As I was conveniently in the shower, she took the cans out just as the truck pulled up. The guy waits for her to get the cans to the street, and once she gets there he asks "Lady, what are you gonna do with that stump?" She replies, "I don't know. I've been waiting for my husband to get rid of it." He says "I'm sick of looking at it" and lugs it into the garbage truck.

Problem solved, once again proving the highly productive benefits of laziness. Also note how laziness managed to get the garbage cans to the street that day as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a story what a story.

DV said...

The garbage men were out-lazied. Impressive. Most impressive.