Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Monetary Benefits of Being Lazy

We've talked in the past about the ultimate way to order a meal at a restaurant. The benefits are various and plentiful. There's another benefit we forgot to mention (or maybe we did. You go back and read the old post and tell me. I'm not gonna do it). A very important one at that. There's a monetary benefit too!

I bring this up because just yesterday I achieved Regular status at yet another eatery. This time at Jersey Mike's. I know I achieved the status because I got my first monetary kickback from them.

See, when you become a regular at an establishment, exact change becomes a thing of the past. If the meal costs $7.53, you give them 8$ and get 50 cents back. $8.56, give them $9 get 55 cents back.

Now I know what you're thinking, what happens if the price is $7.49? Do they only give you 50 cents back? Don't be retarded. In this scenario you DO get 51 cents back. A restaurant is never going to short a customer because they know you're just the kind of petty asshole to get angry over a lost penny. the general rule is, regulars don't get more than 1 or 2 pennies back as change. We're too awesome for pocketfuls of pennies. It's sort of an unspoken thanks for being a consistent customer.

I save 3 cents everytime I go to Chilis. And now I save 1 cent everytime I go to Jersey Mike's. A bit Jewish, yes. And that may not seem like a lot, but as I calculate that out ....over 200 pennies saved per year. That's 2 whole dollars. A couple extra dances at a strip club right there. Or half a gallon of gas.

No comments: